Sunday, September 28, 2008

Lazy Typhoon Days

Let me tell you something. While the idea of a typhoon may sound scary (especially with the complicated ph instead of the simple f) it really isn't so bad. Basically the storm began today when I arrived home at about 7 in the morning. It was as if each cloud were a giant sponge being squeezed dry and therefore crapping out pounds and pounds of rain on me. Actually I think it might be a little more technical but that should be close. It has been raining all day today and while I don't mind a little rain it is weird being trapped in one's house all day. The funny part is that even if it were nice out today I would probably still just lay around my house not doing anything. But that isn't the point. The forced confinement is way worse than the voluntary confinement that I often subject myself to each weekend.

So that is what's going on right now, besides the fact that I just lost at cards and got sore about it so I had to leave. Now I can tell you faithful reader, I am trying hard to not simply make a record of my weekend adventures but rather give you something new and intriguing each week. So what I am going to do this time is tell you a small story from an excellent weekend that made many great moments. Than after I do that maybe I will try something else. Maybe I will complain about something or tell you about how much I miss tacos to the point where I would eat one if I saw it laying on the ground. That would be something new right?

Well either way this particular story gave me a bit of a tickle in my funny bone. Well at least it did the next day when I could get over the slight awkwardness of it all.

On Friday night Dunkle and I went to a club/bar with some friends that was called Hips. This particular club is a Latin club in the middle of China where you can be assured to find people from all over Latin America. People have tried to explain to me the complexities of why there are so many Spanish speakers around here and I think I sort of understand.

You see back in the 1950s when tension was growing between China and Taiwan a man named Julio Gonzago came from Panama with an offer that none could refuse. He was determined to sell his famous "Chickititata" plant to the neighboring Chinese people. The Chinese and the Taiwanese were in talks of making a trade embargo that would put them on the map psychologically and fiscally. When the "Chickititata" plant arrived in both countries there were mixed reviews because the plant had very strange ingredients that would make one very slow and unresponsive. While the Chinese did not embrace this plant Julio Ines received rave reviews by the Taiwanese and was elected "chairman of agriculture" for Taiwan. Thus the relationship was made and since then many have come from afar to live, eat "Chickititata" plant and dance salsa in this one club that Dunkle and I went to. Ok I don't really know why there are so many Central Americans here but it is pretty cool because the girls are hot and me like dat much.

Dunkle and I were having a pretty good time and we had met a good amount of people in a quick amount of time. We were having drinks and telling jokes and really just enjoying ourselves. I began talking to a pretty little lady named Leslie and was subsequently dragged onto the dance floor for a little rug cutting and what not. It was a little intimidating because Latin girls always know how to dance well and they can tell that my jumping around throwing my hands in the air is not a rehearsed move I got from my days working with Timberlake. Nevertheless, we were having fun and I was pretty happy with how things were going. Suddenly a girl came up to us with Jorge or Alfonso and I was startled. It appeared that this girl happened to have a twin sister. She tried at first to introduce me and her sister very quickly brushed me off and started talking to Leslie a bit abrasively. After only a minute Leslie ran off like there was a damn fire in the building. I stood there watching her run off and was like, "and who the hell are you making her run off?" I was trying to be somewhat cordial but it seemed like she had said something fiery (as latins often are) to her sister. So I said screw this and walked off.

After pondering what had happened Leslie came back. I started with "What happened? You just ran off."
"Me. You ran off from me. What it that all about?" she retorted.
"Are you kidding I was just standing there and then you just peaced out."
This went on for awhile and we moved on to other things and they were all clouded by this somewhat crappy attitude on her side. I talked to her for a good twenty minutes with many confusing looks made by both of us. I mean it felt like I was talking to an entirely different person, what had happened?

Ahhhhhh, I very lately realized. I had been talking to this girl's sister the entire last twenty minutes. I was completely flabbergasted. I really felt stupid and yet somehow she had not detected that I thought she was someone else. I can't imagine what she said to her sister later but it was probably something along the lines of "that dude is completely off his rocker and has no idea how to communicate with girls."

So I felt pretty stupid about that happening and now that I just wrote the whole story out I am going to have to apologize for it not being very interesting. I guess I thought it was funny at the time but some things grow old with time, even if it is just a weekend. Well they can't all be gold.

The rest of this weekend was followed by many fun times and new people and it ended last night with me stumbling into some Asian people's karaoke birthday party. They immediately invited me in and I sang some duets and drank some of their whiskey. It was fun and we all stayed together until 630 singing and laughing and hanging out. Very fun.

This is quickly becoming an adventure that I will certainly continue to enjoy more with each day. We have now entered a new season and that means new things to look forward to. Who knows what will come with the next day.

2 comments:

  1. Haha that's pretty funny. Did I tell you that I thought I saw your friend Big Fun but it definitely wasn't and I made a total ass out of myself in front of some stranger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would have been pretty cool if it was me!

    ReplyDelete