Wednesday, July 16, 2008

VIP Lounge in Osaka

Yeah that is right, I did not plan on it whatsoever but it seems that I find myself in Osaka, Japan right now drinking as many Saporo beers as I would like while I wait for a flight to Bangkok. As far as shitty layovers are concerned, this is not at all one of them. So far my day has been going great even though I was supposed to be in Bangkok right now. How about I start at the beginning?

First off for those of you who have actually read my first blog, I apologize for not writing more often but I want to change that now. I figure since I have four hours till my flight and a free bar at my finger tips, i should relax and tell you how things are going. (By the way, bars are not like ice cream. I mean you want to sample everything and with ice cream it is ok but drinks might get you in trouble. I honestly don't know what these people were thinking in putting a guy like me in a swank ass place like this.) 



So the day started out really well. I made all my trains with no problem and I said my goodbyes to Paris the city and all my friends I had met in Paris. It really was a great experience and I will never forget it. I made it all the way to Helsinki with everything going well. Then the trouble started.... they didn't have a seat for me on the Bangkok flight. For a second I really freaked out because our plans for Bangkok pretty much consisted of "go to the airport and we will see each other." While several folks were complaining about this and that a lady said, "well you could go to Osaka and then we could figure it out," to which I politely responded, "fuck it, I'll go to Osaka." So a quick email to let the guys know what had happened in the hopes that they might find internet and I was off. I mean literally I went one gate over, got on and we pulled out. I really didn't even have time to think about it and when you don't have time to think you don't have time to freak out. 

It was a rather leisurely flight to a completely incorrect destination, however, I was entertained by piece of shit movie after piece of shit movie and glass of free wine after glass of free wine.  I can honestly say that I really was never worried. I knew that my friends were intelligent and had most likely found each other and I was really only going to be about 12 hours late. Not bad.

So the flight lands and the mix of the half drunk feeling from the South African wine and the deliriousness of several 15 minute naps dispersed over a period of i think 9 or 10 hours makes me feel a little jolly.......or crazy.  Suddenly as we land I hear, "Wirr passenger Andrew Putt prease speak to a fright attendant before descending da prane?" Wow I had officially made it to Japan and someone already wanted a piece of me. So to my surprise I walk out of the prane as they carr it and was met by a lovely Japanese girl holding a sign with my name on it. I felt like a star! She indicated to me that everything was in order and since I had had such a rough ordeal the airline had invited me to rest at the VIP airport lounge. Now perhaps you have been to the Detroit lounge or the Phoenix armadillo club where you are promised a fresca and a can of beans, but the Japanese have got it all right. (yes I will have another beer.) I mean we are talking beer, bar, wine, saki (which I hate but will soon drink), pastries and even a toilet that talks to you and heats up your butt. 

So after being brought around and everyone helping me (one girl even held my coke while I looked for my passport) I am enjoying myself in probably the nicest place I will ever visit. Not only that but I have communicated with the boys and all is set in Bangkok. Oh and not only that but since my plans got so screwed up, Finnair decided to write me a fat 'ole check for $1000 bucks for my problems. Wow! Little did they know that that money just saved my life as I was planning on moving to Taipei with about $80 on my person. 

I have a feeling that life is going to be alright and that this vacation is going to kick way too much ass. I hope that hearing about this day was as entertaining for you as it has been for me. So far I have been up for about 24 hours, drunk twice, been in three countries, two continents, and will most likely be awake for another 18 or so hours. But dat's how I rock. Stay tuned cause I will keep the blog a flowin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment